Martinez Dental Solutions offers implant dentistry. Dental implants are surgically placed, allowing for a permanent, natural-looking, and functional solution to missing teeth. Since dental implants naturally integrate with your jawbone, they are exceptionally stable and reduce bone loss, which is common when the natural tooth structure is no longer present. Dental implants function just like natural teeth; your normal chewing function works as before, and your diet is not restricted due to having implants.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants are whole tooth replacements that can replace single teeth, whole groups of teeth, and can even work as anchors to permanently stabilize dentures. Dental implants are topped with a natural-looking crown, ensuring a beautiful smile that looks seamless. Dental implants can:
- Maintain the natural aesthetic of your face.
- Preserves bone in the jaw.
- Restore bite function.
- Negate slipping or slurred speech as experienced with removable teeth replacements.
- Resolve joint pain or bite problems caused by teeth shifting into missing tooth space.
What to Expect with Implant Dentistry
Martinez Dental Solutions both places and restores dental implants. The process begins when our dental team takes 3D digital x-rays of your mouth and uses advanced software to plan your treatment. We use an outside lab to create custom implants and crowns based off of the design created. All placement and restoration surgery takes place right at our Jacksonville implant dentistry office.
You will need to take a day off of work on the day of the procedure. However, you'll be ready to return to work the next day. Once your dental implants are in place, you will still need to focus on good oral health practices, despite the absence of natural teeth, as dental implants can fail due to improper care. Make sure to brush and floss regularly to control bacteria and ensure that your gums remain as healthy as possible to keep your dental implants in excellent condition.
Insurance companies often provide coverage or discounts for dental implants, making them more affordable than you may realize.
What to Expect After the Procedure/Instructions
After implant placement, there is usually not a lot of bleeding. If necessary, you may be given some gauze, to slow or prevent bleeding. Exercising and heavy lifting will raise your blood pressure. Avoid exercising for three to five days following the surgery.
To prevent and/or minimize swelling, apply ice packs at 15-minute intervals to the surgical area for 2 hours. After 24 hours, apply warm compresses to the area to relieve swelling. Swelling is a natural part of the healing process and can be expected for 3 days to several weeks depending on the nature and extent of the surgery.
Following most surgical procedures there may or may not be pain, depending on your threshold for pain. You will be provided with medication for discomfort that is appropriate for you. In most cases, a non-narcotic pain regimen is sufficient. If a narcotic was prescribed, follow the directions carefully. If you have any questions about these medications in interacting with other medications you are presently taking, please call our office first, your physician and/or pharmacist.
- DO NOT rinse vigorously for at least 48 hours (2 days) after the surgery.
- DO NOT exercise or do heavy lifting for 3 to 5 days after surgery.
- DO NOT smoke for 72 Hours (3 days)!
- IF POSSIBLE, chew only on the opposite side of your mouth.
- DO brush and floss normally, with special care around the surgical site. For the first 48 hours (2 days), DO NOT spit. Just let the water flow out of your mouth naturally.
When Should You Notify the Doctor?
- If you develop a fever.
- If profuse bleeding continues after 3-4 hours of applied pressure.
- If the pain and/or swelling increase after the third day.
- If an oral bandage becomes dislodged prior to the third day.
- If you have an allergic reaction to medications such as:
- Skin rash.
- Elevated temperature.
- Increased and/or erratic heart rate.
- Blurred vision.
Contact Us or call: 904-996-8162