Home Dental Care Resources
A beautiful, healthy smile that lasts a lifetime is our ultimate goal when treating our patients at Martinez Dental Solutions. Your personal dental home care plays an important role in achieving that goal. By eating balanced meals, reducing the number of snacks you eat, and correctly using various dental aids that help control plaque and bacteria, you can practice proper oral care at home. Request an appointment today to learn more.Learn More
Brushing & Flossing
Proper dental home care begins with learning how to correctly brush and floss your teeth.
Brush your teeth at least twice a day (especially before going to bed at night) with an ADA-approved soft bristle brush and toothpaste.
- Place the brush at a 45-degree angle to the gums and gently brush using small, circular motions, ensuring that you always feel the bristles on the gums
- Brush the outer, inner, and biting surfaces of each tooth
- Use the tip of the brush to clean the inside of the front teeth
- Brush your tongue to remove bacteria and freshen your breath
Electric toothbrushes are also recommended. They are easy to use and can remove plaque efficiently. Simply place the bristles of the electric brush on your gums and teeth and allow the brush to do its job, several teeth at a time.
Daily flossing is the best way to clean between the teeth and under the gumline. Flossing not only helps clean these spaces, but it also disrupts plaque colonies from building up, preventing damage to the gums, teeth, and bone.
- Take 12-16 inches (30 - 40 cm) of dental floss and wrap it around your middle fingers, leaving about 2 inches (5 cm) of floss between the hands
- Using your thumbs and forefingers to guide the floss, gently insert the floss between teeth using a sawing motion
- Curve the floss into a “C” shape around each tooth and under the gumline. Gently move the floss up and down, cleaning the side of each tooth
Floss holders are recommended if you have difficulty using conventional floss.
Rinsing & Other Dental Home Care Aids
It is important to rinse your mouth with water after brushing and after meals if you are unable to brush. If you are using an over-the-counter product for rinsing, it’s a good idea to consult with your dentist or dental hygienist on its appropriateness for you.
Use other dental aids as recommended by your dentist or dental hygienists, such as interdental brushes, rubber tip stimulators, tongue cleaners, irrigation devices, fluoride, medicated rinses, and more. All of these can play a role in effective dental home care.
Why Choose Our Dental Office?
We provide full-service dental solutions to residents in the Jacksonville area. With our friendly, welcoming, staff and our top-of-the-line technological services, we can perform a wide range of dental restorations and cosmetic services:
Serving Jacksonville Since 2006
Our professional, caring dentists have been serving Jacksonville and nearby communities, including: San Marco, Southside, St. Augustine, Orange Park, Jacksonville Beach, and all surrounding areas. Request an appointment today for our cosmetic dentistry or dental restoration services.