Martinez Dental Solutions partners with you to enhance the natural beauty of your smile. Our dental fluoride treatments are an effective way to keep your smile beautiful by helping prevent tooth decay. They are usually performed during cleaning appointments. Fluoride is a mineral that is naturally present in varying amounts in almost all foods and the water supply. The benefits of fluoride have been well known for over 50 years and are supported by many health and professional organizations.
How Does Fluoride Work?
Topical fluoride strengthens the teeth once they have erupted by seeping into the outer surface of the tooth enamel, making the teeth more resistant to decay. Topical fluoride can be found in fluoride-containing dental products such as toothpaste, mouth rinses, and gels. Dentists and dental hygienists generally recommend that children have a professional fluoride treatment twice a year during dental check-ups.
Systemic fluoride also strengthens teeth that are developing under the gums. While we can find fluoride in foods, water supplies, and fluoride-containing dental products, it is also available as a supplement in drop or gel form and can be prescribed by your dentist or physician. Generally, fluoride drops are recommended for infants, and tablets are best suited for children through the teen years. It is very important to monitor the amounts of fluoride a child ingests. If too much fluoride is consumed while the teeth are developing, a condition called fluorosis (white spots on the teeth) may result.
Why Dental Fluoride Treatment?
Your dentist or dental hygienist may recommend the use of home or professional fluoride treatments for the following reasons:
- Deep pits and fissures on the chewing surfaces of teeth
- Exposed and sensitive root surfaces
- Fair to poor oral hygiene habits
- Frequent sugar and carbohydrate intake
- Inadequate exposure to fluorides
- Inadequate saliva flow due to medical conditions, medical treatments, or medications
- Recent history of dental decay
Remember, fluoride alone will not prevent tooth decay! It is important to brush at least twice a day, floss regularly, eat balanced meals, reduce sugary snacks, and visit your dentist on a regular basis.
Choose Us for Full-Service Dental Care
- We only use the highest quality materials, most advanced technology, and first-rate dentistry practices
- We offer a wide range of dental services including dental implants, porcelain veneers, partial dentures, wisdom teeth extractions, and more
- We offer same-day crown services with our CEREC CAD/CAM technology
- We follow strict sterilization techniques and cross-contamination prevention regulations as set by the American Dental Association (ADA), the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), and the Center for Disease Control (CDC)
Serving Jacksonville Since 2006
Contact us today to request an appointment for our fluoride treatments. We gladly serve the Jacksonville area including Southside, Neptune Beach, San Marco, St. Augustine, and Middleburg with our dental exams, cleanings and prevention solutions, cosmetic dentistry, and dental restorations.